Anyway, so we decided to not go to bible study because of how we felt and neither of us wanted to cook... so we hopped in the car to head up to Moe's for a quick and nutritious burrito dinner. Mmmm! Well, on the way to the car, this sweet little puppy (by puppy I mean young - not small... this dog was about 55 pounds!) ran up to me and jumped on me! She had been socializing with my two dogs through the fence. So, at first I was just going to leave her, but then I noticed her tag and immediately thought of what I would be thinking if one of my sweet dogs was out of our yard and couldn't find his way home. So, I had Chris call the number on the tag and it was a micro-chip service. We told them the ID number on the tag and she told us the dog was from Stockbridge! We were like WHAAAAAAAT? Then she said she just realized it was at first from Stockbridge... then someone adopted her there, then took her back to the pound. Then she moved to the Atlanta Humane Society and our neighbors, The Stoners, adopted her a few weeks ago. So, we called our neighbors home number and left them a message that their sweet dog, Harlee, was at our house and we would keep her until they got home that night.
WELL - the afternoon came and went and the night came and went and no neighbors home. So, Harlee stayed at our house and was a perfect angel. She is a good pup.
The next morning - no neighbors.
The next afternoon - no neighbors.
The next evening - FINALLY I see their truck pull in the driveway as I am coming home from working out with Jen. Yay! I run into the house and tell Chris to go tell Mr. Stoner that we had his dog. I ran to get Harlee and put her on her leash. We take her over there - and to make this story a bit shorter - he made it very clear that he didn't want "that damn dog". (Notice the quotations are his words and obviously not mine as I don't say that word.) So, Mr. Stoner throws Harlee in the back yard and says that he is taking her BACK to the pound the next day.
Chris DRAGS me back to our house and I'm just a bit upset by now. THIS IS THE REASON THAT SO MANY DOGGIES GET KILLED! People get puppies and expect them to be good like their other doggies - but you can't expect that! 99.9% of puppies are BAD and need to be LOVED and TRAINED - in that order! So, while I'm beginning to cry, we see a flash of red streak across our yard and then a tiny "scratch, scratch" on our door! SHE CAME BACK TO US! I open the door and she runs in and jumps on the couch and says, "I'm back!" She had jumped the Stoner's fence and came back to us. I told Chris that Harlee was NOT going to leave our house again. Chris walked outside and told Mr. Stoner we'd take her and take care of her and find her a good home. He said, "OK!" and went to get some food for us to give her and all her record papers.
So we now have Harlee the dog! :) She is absolutely precious and a very good dog. She has already made GREAT progress. She knows "No" and "Sit" and we are working on "Down" and "Stay" and crate training.
The plan is to teach her good manners then find a great home for her with loving parents. That is kind of the plan. I am falling more and more in love with her every day. (And although Chris won't admit it, he is too) So, we will see. :) We may soon be a household with more canine's than homosapiens! But, if she doesn't end up getting along great with my two babies, Jack and Buddie then it doesn't work out. They are my first priority and if they are not happy with Harlee living with us, then it just won't work. They are my family and have been for years. We're waiting a few weeks to have that conversation with them though. I'll let you know the details after we talk to J and B!
Here is a sweet picture of all the boys and girl last week. It only took me about 50 camera shots to get them all looking up. Buddie is on his 2 hind legs to get into the picture... and I had 3 treats dangling above my head! Ha ha!
And whenever you say Harlee's name or something else in a funny voice, she looks at you like this! It's SOOO funny!


No comments:
Post a Comment