A sweet sorority sister of mine asked me what a dedication weekend was! And I realized - a lot of you may not know - so I would quickly explain it. :)
Some denominations - like the Catholic church - baptize babies. It is very similar to that - except - I have grown up believing - as do many churches - that being baptized is a personal decision for a person. Not one that a parent can make for a child. I believe that choosing to be baptized comes AFTER a person is mature enough to fully understand what it means to be a Christian and accept Jesus Christ into their life as their personal Savior and leader of their life. We just simply believe that to become a Christian - a person MUST fully believe that Jesus is God's son - and that He died for EVERYONE'S sins - and that on the 3rd day after his crucifixion, he rose from the dead. John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world - that he gave His only begotten son - that whoever believes in Him - shall not perish but have everlasting life.
So - that being said - after a person is old enough to fully understand this concept and asks Jesus to come into their heart - THEN they are to be baptized. Baptism - I believe - is a symbol of a person's decision to follow Christ. Being baptized in the name of the Father (God), the Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit (the risen Jesus) is being fully immersed in water and lifted out... it is symbolism of going into the water and coming out having all of your sins washed away - believing that Jesus died for all your sins. (Jesus himself was baptized during his ministry - before he was killed.)
So - in lieu of having a baptism ceremony for a baby - the parents come before their home church - to publicly affirm and celebrate their desire to raise their child in Christ and LEAD him to make the decision to follow Chris on his own one day - and to be baptized when he is old enough to understand it. It is a big deal because the close family and friends of the family come, too, to witness this affirmation and to take their part in helping to raise this child in Christ as well. It is basically just making a commitment before the Lord that we submit our child to God's will and to raise that child according to God's word and God's ways.
Hope that answers your questions! LIOB.
Savannah's Play
-
We went to see the Music Man which Haley's little miss Vernon Hills was in.
2 years ago

4 comments:
Hillary! Thanks so much for posting this. I had a feeling that's what the event was all about but wasn't sure (since I'm Catholic and do the whole baptism as a babe thing).
:) I love that we catch up via blogs.
Hey Meaghan! Most definitey - love catching up when I have a few spare minutes here and there :) My mom grew up Catholic then converted after she married my dad and my sister married a Catholic so she converted to Catholism and her family is Catholic as well - so I have been a part of both types of ceremonies... I don't really think either is the right way - just 2 different ways at how each religion symbolizes their beliefs... I think it's pretty neat!
I wondered about that when I decided to convert. However, the Baptism is confirmed and becomes an adult decision during confirmation for Catholics... when kids are old enough to make the decision for themselves. So it is actually not all that different!
Awesome post, but check your spelling - I think I want to grow up to follow "Chris" too. :)
Post a Comment