Thursday, March 22, 2012

The First Five Years.

Chris and I renewed our vows at our church in February.  This April will be our 5 year wedding anniversary so we thought it would be a great way to kick off our next 5 years.  Looking back, what we've overcome, accomplished, grown from in the past 5 years... I can't even begin to imagine what God has in store for our next 5.  A friend who was in a difficult place in her life recently told me, "Hillary, you don't understand.  You have the perfect marriage with no problems."  Um.  I beg to differ.  Chris and I do have an amazing marriage.  But it is NOT perfect.  And it is NOT without problems. And it's so easy in a "post the good moments on facebook and blog" world to make it seem that way.  I will tell you that we fight.  But we fight fair. We disagree but we work through it.  We are BOTH stubborn... me probably more than Chris... but when we both seek God first in ALL the we do... it just all works out.  We break down our walls of sin and come together, before our Maker, and we grow... together... closer.


Here are a few words to describe our 5 years together.  Bliss. Beautiful. Growing. Growing. Growing. Together. Chris the Student. Hillary the Breadwinner. Wonderful first year of marriage. Fights. More fights. Awful fights. Hurtful words. Chris the college drop out. Fights. Trials. More fights. Pregnant. FREAKING out. Scared. Growing. Together. Chris the student. Chris the intern. Building our first house. Baby Parker. C-section recovery. Chris the unemployed. Chris the college graduate. Chris the unemployed. Devoted. Blessed. Growing. Together. Chris EMPLOYED! Chris in his dream job. Bliss. Beautiful. Growing. Together. Pregnant AGAIN. EXCITED! JOYFUL! Scared. Baby Caroline. VBAC recovery. Hillary quitting her full time job. Hillary working part time. Hillary the Stay At Home Mom. Bliss. Beautiful. Growing. Together. Looking back... I wouldn't change a damn thing.  Period.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I love your honesty and devotion to Chris. And your willingness to share all the details, not just the good ones. I feel so blessed to be able to call you one of my best friends.

The Markham Family said...

Totally agree with K! Love and admire your honesty! It's a breath of fresh air! So honored to be there to watch you and Chris renew your vows! Cheers to the next 5!