Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Our first 5K as a family (sorta!)


I had planned on running in this 5K at our church and was so excited when I got an email from some people in our Sunday school class saying they were running and wanted to form a team to save a few bucks on the registration!  I was so glad I procrastinated!  And it was way fun to run alongside all of our friends at church!  Well, when the emails started coming from everyone in our class, Chris OUT OF THE BLUE said he'd run it with me!  I was way excited!  He hates to run and I am always begging him to run with me... I think it'd be such a fun thing to do as a family on the weekends and evenings!  We planned to take turns pushing the kids in the jogging stroller and it seemed like a pretty good plan!  Here they are pre-race!  All bundled up!
Leaving the church and starting down the hill... just to go back up!
About the time that the picture above was taken, Chris handed off the stroller to me and I told him to follow me so we could sort of get out of this small crowed we were in... not easy to run in a crowd with a huge stroller!  So I started weaving through to get to a more open area I didn't see Chris again until I passed him on my way back to the finish line!  So much for taking turns with these kiddos!  I actually didn't mind so much... the hills were TOUGH and going uphill I was struggling but downhill was GREAT and Parker loved the speed!  Throughout the entire race, he was singing and yelling, "Go mommy go!  Go mommy go!  I love you mommy!  Go mommy go!"  I had my earphones in and music up but I could still hear him and I loved it!  I supposed it made me push harder because I ran the race in 33 minutes... which was the same time as the last race I had done which was 100% flat land (no hills) AND I was not pushing 70 pounds of stroller and kiddos!  Go Hill!  Here's a pic of my cheering squad... C-line looks a bit miserable.  She had a cold and wasn't in the best of spirits that day!
The kids (Parker) was so happy to cheer daddy on as he finished a little bit behind us!  Here is daddy running at the end!  Go daddy go!

We had so much fun running as a family!  I'm praying Chris keeps it up!  After the race, there was a band, face painting, lots of food, prizes, etc.  Chris was 1 second behind the guy who won 3rd place in their age division!  (There were only 4 people in their age division!) 

No comments: