Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bricks in the Dark - License Plates - CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS!

I went up to Cumming last night to see my sister, brother in law and my sweet little niece, Kayley Lane. Kayley is absolutely, preciously beautiful and so, so sweet. I got to hear her coo a little bit, too! It's crazy how excited we all got every time she'd make a noise :) Babies are great entertainment!

After some YUMMY Jim and Nick's barbecue (mouth watering now just thinking about the fried green tomatoes!) I headed over to our new house - since I was in the neighborhood - to see if our brick had been put up yet! And it had! I was super excited and even got out to take some pictures! After being out there for a few minutes, I realized exactly how incredibly SPOOKY it was out there! There are only 2 houses up on our street now - and about 5 being built - so you can imagine it's pretty quiet. I honestly didn't know that kind of quiet existed within 30 miles of Atlanta. I heard every crackling of the gravel, I heard some sort of coyote howling in the distance and nothing else. Yes - I am moving to the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.... so sorry - in advance - to anyone who comes to visit us from Smyrna! Here is our house - in the dark. The wood hasn't been painted yet - it will be a darker khaki/tan color.





So - apparently - cops ALL AROUND the A.T.L. last night were bored as heck. As I was on my way to our new house, I looked up and saw the wonderfully reassuring red and blue lights behind me.... UGH!
I was on the phone and honestly wasn't really paying attention to how fast I was going... but I was pretty sure I was no where near 50 mph. I was going pretty slow thinking that there may be deer running across the road. So, I pull over and unbutton my jacket so he'll see I'm pregnant and maybe have some pity on a crazy pregnant lady.
Mr. Police Office comes up to my window and shines a SUPER bright light in my eyes and proceeds to tell me that my license plate lights were out. "OH!" was my response! "I didn't even know that those existed!" He laughed brought up some small talk for a few minutes and he asked why I was "up in this here neck of the woods" (his exact words). I looked up and realized I was in the turning lane for our new neighborhood and told him my husband and I just bought a house in this neighborhood! He was like - "Oh, yeah? This first house here in (name of the hood we were sitting outside of)?" Then, the stupidness hit me... "Oh, whoopsie!" I said. "No, we don't live in this neighborhood - it's one a few more miles down the road." Disclaimer: I PROMISE THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME AT NIGHT!
I was sure he was going to ask me to step out of the car to take a sobriety test so I quickly rebounded with telling him we were in the process of building our house and our brick was supposed to come up today so I was just coming to see it - sounding like a total blonde, city girl who had no idea where her house was "up here in this neck of the woods". I also put my hand on my bulging belly so he'd know I was pregnant and no way drunk. It couldn't hurt, right?
UGH. So anyway - he tells me to go buy some new lights for my license plate and I drive off. On my way home from our house, I call Chris who proceeds to tell me that HE ALSO got pulled over last night in Smyrna! And guess what for??????? HIS LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS WERE OUT! I guess Chris and I need to keep better tabs on our license plate lights - since that is obviously very important these days....
OKAY OKAY OKAY on to my NEXT topic of venting - So - it's definitely the middle of January now - a good 3 weeks after Christmas - and I I think it's totally OK if there are a few Christmas lights up around that people just haven't had time to take down yet. That doesn't really bother me. HOWEVER - it does bother me just bit that some people down the road still LIGHT THEIRS UP every single night. And not only do they light up - bright blue, bright green, bright red - but they BLINK non stop! And some of the lights on one side of the house have fallen off the edge of the roof - so they are hanging and drooping down one part of the house. Okay - I know it's a pain to take down lights and it doesn't bother me that much - but why do you insist on turning them on EVERY NIGHT? I am just thankful that they don't live within eye shot of our house - we just pass their house every night when we turn onto our street. I feel for the neighbors around them that have to see their lovely display of blinking colors every evening...
BUT! We do have a great little house across the street from us. The only encounter we have ever had with them is saying hello to them LAST Christmas (yes, in 2007) when we walked out of our house on Christmas morning and one of the guys who lives there was out in the front yard SHAVING his head - and his hair was going all over the road and our yard. We said, "Merry Christmas" and that is the ONLY time we have ever spoken to them. Well - this Christmas - they decided to put up some lovely blow up animals. These things just aren't my favorite thing. I can MAYBE understand if you have little kids and they insist on putting these awfully tacky things up every year - I may even give in to little Parker's precious brown eyes (just like his dad's I'm hoping) if he definitely wants a blow up snow man in our front yard one day - (but his eyes will have to be REALLY preciously sweet to do that!) But the people living in this house are TWO SINGLE GROWN MEN... and if we know for a fact that they each have at least one girlfriend so there is no excuse here. HOWEVER - this is getting a little ridiculous. Taking lights down requires a ladder, maybe a tool of some sort, and someone to help you ball them up... it can be a chore for sure. TAKING DOWN A RIDICULOUS BLOW UP SANTA - RIDING A POLAR BEAR NO LESS - HOLDING HANDS WITH A PENGUIN NO LESS would take about 2 seconds to deflate. About 2 minutes to fold up into a box. And 5 minutes to put somewhere in storage. Chris tried to take a picture of it last night from our front door - but couldn't really get the whole picture in there. So as I was pulling out of our driveway this morning, I quickly rolled down my passenger window and snapped a quick photo. I just had to get some support here. It's ridiculous, right? RIGHT?!!?

Now - anyone in my neighborhood probably does not love the gorgeous DEAD flowers in our flower boxes - but having 5 dead flowers in a flower box is NO MATCH AT ALL for this wonderful display of Christmas spirit. I would not be surprised if Chris goes ahead and buys Parker his first BB Gun and practices using it in the next few weeks if these things are still up... We're moving in a few months anyway! :)

No comments: