So - we have decided on the ever-so-popular Chocolate Brown and Blue theme! I found some really cute bedding WELL within our budget and now I am just really struggling with what I want to do as far as furniture/wall color, etc and would LOVE some ideas.
Here are some pictures of the bedding we bought. We have all the items that are on the bed, the window valance, the little blue and brown thing hanging on the wall above the crib that is holding the little toys and the diaper stacker that is hanging on the dresser knob. And thanks to the GiveAway I won on Heidi's blog a few months ago, I'll have a super cute little picture holder thing to hang on the wall as well! Now - we only have one window in the nursery, but our bedding set came with 2 valences - so I could possibly do something creative with the other valance - any ideas?

This is the glider/ottoman we LOVE - it's at Babies R Us - but if I find a similar one for cheaper on craigslist I'll get it there.

I have this dresser that I used in college and we are going to plan to use as the changing table. It is white and we are using it for the very important reason: it's ours... and it's sturdy... and it allows us to spend a little more money to make sure we have a quality crib and quality rocker/glider chair. The only cribs and gliders I really like are dark brown though... is it OK to mix white and brown furniture? Some super stylish friends have suggested painting the dresser blue or something else but my husband says "absolutely not". So that's not an option. I'm not totally opposed to having a white crib, but I after seeing them in all the stores - they just look so "girly". HOWEVER - I have found NUMEROUS white cribs on craigslist that are well within our budget and I haven't found ANY nice dark brown cribs on craigslist. So if I get enough support from y'all I may end up going with a white crib... I need help and want to know what y'all think!
Now - here is my dilemma. I am really attracted to the options of having really dark chocolate brown walls in the nursery. I've seen some different photos of some and it just makes the room look so cozy and warm. We have SO much sunlight throughout our entire new house and so I think a darker room would be a really nice touch. And seeing that this is the only room we are really "decorating" for the next few years due to our BUDGET, I'd like something different than khaki walls that our entire house will be when we move in. . Some friends have suggested painting the ceiling blue to bring in some contrast colors to the room - but hubby says "No" to painting our ceilings (we are paying our builder to paint all our ceilings white in the house.)
I need some help - seriously. I know that nearly 100 people check out my blog every few days so no excuses - leave me some comments people!






6 comments:
Hey Hillary-- I have an extra crib I'd be happy to give you... though it doesn't meet any of your desires! (It was given to us when Elizabeth was born so I didn't have to buy a second crib.) It's light, natural wood. BUT-- maybe you'd want to take it so you can have something to use until you find your dream crib at a reasonable price! We're coming to Atlanta the weekend of March 21st so I can bring the crib to you if you'd want it! (Oh, but it doesn't have a mattress so you'd have to get one of those).
~Katie Ebert
I LOVE the idea of brown walls... def makes it cozy and Boy-ish. I say mix white furniture with dark walls and add blue as an accent color... as far as the other valance goes... you can find old window panes pretty cheap... paint white/blue or whatever color you want and hang above the changing table or in a location that compliments the other window in the room... it will give the illusion of a bigger space with another window. I wouldn't worry too much about the white crib... with dark brown walls and blue accents... white furniture will not look too girly. Just get a crib that doesn't have rounded edges... this conversion crib from PB in white isn't too girly at all. http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/sw640/index.cfm?pkey=ccribs%7Cb
You might be able to find something similiar on Craig's list. And no worries if it seems girly on its own... the room will look Rough-and-tumble BOY ready once you get the brown walls, and blue accents in there. Not to mention the brown is a versatile color a boy would probably keep longer than a baby blue... for transition purposes (think trucks in 3 years and dinosaurs a few years after that..) GOOD LUCK and keep posting pics!!
Hey Hillary,
The bedding you picked out is adorable! Here is a fun painting idea: when we moved into our new house a few months ago I painted our master bedroom in 12inch vertical stripes. The stripes are the same color but one is a flat paint and the other is a gloss. It turned out amazing! Makes our ceilings look very tall. It was a little bit of work, but the end result was well worth it. I can send you some pictures and fool proof instructions, if you like the idea.
Sarah Hatfield(Westwood)
Hill--this is a personal style choice but i dont think twice about mixing furniture colors. in my entire house i do not have a single "set" of furniture that matches/is the same color, etc. i personally wouldnt worry if i had a dresser that did not match the crib!
brown sounds cute, another choice is just painting one wall as an accent wall, since it could be really dark with all 4 walls chocolate brown. also, if you have all the walls painted dark brown, brown furniture might end up getting lost in the mix, and white furniture might end up not looking so girly!
also, remember that the baby isnt going to know if everything looks perfect! also, why are you buying all of this stuff hill???? you are supposed to register for it and wait for us to buy it for you! silly girl!
hey hilary, it has been awhile since I have seen or talk to you, but I just checked your blog via facebook. for some reason I just decided to comment on this. as far as the furniture not matching, i think that is perfectly fine and makes a little more personal as you said and little more cute. but if you are worried about it not matching and if you haven't already bought a changing pad, you could use the extra valance, and just buy a changing table mattress-thing and cover the changing table with the extra valance to tie in all the furniture. also, if you haven't bought your rocker yet, you could do some kind of order with the crib and dresser being dark brown and the rocker and changing table being white. just a suggestion though.
i like the idea of brown, but it maybe too dark for a little baby's room. a lot of time babies like bright colors, but maybe you could go with something more monochromatic matching like a light sand color. i like the striped idea that the person above me suggested. or even, what if you did stripes with a light brown and the dark brown and had two different widths for each color. just suggestions that are different than the obvious pale yellow or white.
--jonathan trimm
Go with the brown walls. Brown furniture on brown walls is too much, so the white furniture will be a good contrast. Love ya, Nicki
Post a Comment