We are doing it! We are getting a porch! A porch! Something we've been talking about for three years - since we built our house! I only wanted a roof so I wouldn't be blocked out from running back and forth into yard while playing with Parker, but Chris said that if he builds a porch, it's going to be screened in... compromise people! And after hearing that an estimate to have the porch done professionally was nearly $8,000.00..... um.... yeah... Chris was definitely going to build our porch. And I'm sure I'll be thankful for the screens when the mammoth-size mosquitoes come out in a few weeks! He's been working on it for about 2 weeks and the "bones" of it are built! But he's got SUCH a long way to go... it's crazy. I don't care though - he's loving it and is really enjoying the project! And I feel like we will enjoy this porch SO much more knowing my hubs built it with his own two hands (with some help of some great friends along the way)! Here are the progression pictures from the past 2 weeks! The girl in some of the pictures is my best friend, Robin... she has been a huge help on the weekends coming over to help me with the kiddos for a few minutes here and there! :) Sweet girl, she is!
The above picture is what we accomplished our first night on the job! It was actually a really big deal... but the next day, my brother in law, Doug, came over and they accomplished a ton more in one sweltering hot afternoon!
So after Chris got this far, he sort of halted. He is doing this project with ZERO construction plans... which I'm not crazy about... but I guess since his profession is managing construction projects, he can figure it out, right? Well, after he got the bones of it built, he was at a stopping point. He finally called Mr. Tony who works for Chris on a lot of his projects at work - he's sort of a "Do it all handyman!". Tony came over just to give Chris some tips last Saturday and he ended up grabbing his tools and staying for several hours helping Chris change a few things to improve it and also give him some ideas on what needed to be done next. THEN - as if that wasn't enough - he showed up a few days later with more tools that he's letting us borrow and helped Chris get the roof boards (OSB?) up. Thank you Mr. Tony! I made sure I went out every chance I could to tell him how thankful I was that he was there! :)
s.t.u.d. I found my husband incredibly sexy up there! :)
That's Mr. Tony on the right side of the above picture. He was on top of the roof before too long to lay the black stuff down and the poor guy got fiberglass ALL in his arms! Poor guy suffered for our porch!
Wow - can't believe it's 1/2 day done in 2 weeks! I have no doubt that it will be another month, if not longer, til it's done! The finishing stuff is what takes so long! I'm excited though! And SO thankful we finally built our porch so that my sweet family can enjoy our summer days outside!

No comments:
Post a Comment