Monday, March 9, 2009

BACK TO SCHOOL?!?!?!?



It's finally Chris' SPRING BREAK - YEAH!!!!!! Normally, Chris' spring break consists of a GUYS LONG WEEKEND to Florida for baseball spring training! Not this year, babe... Too bad I scheduled an entire week of baby classes for us to do together while he has a break from his "real" school :) I'm such a sweet wife, huh?

  • Saturday morning - 9 O CLOCK A.M. - began our baby classes! "Breastfeeding for Couples" was where we spent the first 4 hours of our first Saturday morning of Chris' Spring Break! He was over joyed to be there! He even loved the fact even more that our teacher had a REALLY terrible lisp and she couldn't even pronounce "breast feeding" correctly - it was more of a "Breath Feeding" class - from what she kept saying. I wasn't sure Chris was going to make it through :) (((I also want to mention that my SWEET SWEET husband got up EARLIER than he needed to on Saturday morning so that he could make me HOME MADE waffles since I was craving them! What a great hubby! :))))


  • How we managed to "get in trouble" at this class: We had to practice swaddling the baby, burping the baby, and all the different nursing positions that they recommend for newborns. Well - when it was my turn to give the baby doll to Chris for him to swaddle and burp it, I just grabbed the baby by the leg off the table and handed it to Chris. Our teacher nearly fell over. She yelled at me and said I always needed to support the head. IT WAS A DOLL! Obviously I'm not going to treat my baby like that!
          ~~~~~~~~~
        • Sunday afternoon - 1-5 PM - was day number TWO of baby learning fun! We had our first four hour series of our "Birth/Labor Prep" class. We really enjoyed this class! We got to sit on these comfy mats on the floor - well I did. Chris had to sit on the floor next to me. He ACTUALLY asked me if we could switch for a little bit since his butt was hurting... I'm pretty sure he was kidding though :) I hope! I ESPECIALLY loved this class session because the last 10-20 minutes of class was spent with Chris sitting behind me massaging my back, neck, head, arms, legs. All very important for pre-labor comfort - and our teacher told us that our husbands should practice these moves on us EVERY day to make sure they are perfect by the time labor comes.

        • How we managed to "get in trouble" in this class: We had to practice all our "breathing" techniques to use during labor. Well - I thought that "hee hee hooo... hee hee hooo" was only in the movies. NO SIR! They are FOR REAL! It was really hard to not laugh... We also had to try all sorts of different ways to count our breathing - and one way was for Chris to be my "focal point" in front of me - about 6 inches away from my face. We had to stare at each other and practice our breathing. NO WAY. This was it for me. To stare at Chris and for us to both be "hee hee hoo-ing" was just about it. I think our teacher cut this part of the session short thanks to us. Whoopsie!




        This is one thing we learned about in our class. Parker actually has to do A LOT inside of me before he comes out to make sure his birth and my labor is easiest possible... First he has to be turned the right way (head down) - THEN he has to be facing the back (if he's not, then he will be born "sunny side up" and I will have back labor and THAT didn't sound fun AT ALL) then in order to get through my pelvic bones, he has to turn SIDE WAYS, then move BACK to face my tail bone - then come out of me. I just thought that babies came out no matter how they were hanging out in there. Poor Parker! This pic is what babies look like before when they turn side ways to get through the pelvic bones. The numbers at the bottom are how the nurses/doctors measure how far along the baby is through labor. The negative numbers mean he is obviously still making his way south. The positive numbers pretty much mean he's coming SOON! Hopefully when Parker reaches 1, he'll go through 2,3,4 and 5 really quickly!




        The rest of this week consists of a hospital tour on Tuesday, an infant CPR class on Friday and the 2nd 4 hour session of labor/birthing prep class is on Sunday. We were told that we will be physically practicing laboring positions at this class. I hope we don't get in trouble again!!!!

        No comments: