Thursday, April 16, 2009

How we came to meet Parker!

Hi everyone! (First I'm so sorry it's taken me a few days to get this out! I am always so exhausted, when I actually sit back to relax and finish this blog post I end up falling asleep!)

Parker James Hull was born on April 14, 2009 (me and Chris' 2 year wedding anniversary!!!). He was 6 pounds 10.8 ounces, 20 1/4 inches long and was born at 6:55 PM. He's got a HEAD FULL OF HAIR! It's light brown in color and his eyes are BIG and blue like his mommy's. But his skin is very dark in color like his daddy's. He's beautiful :)


Here is the story :)


Monday, April 13 at 4:00 PM, I had my 37 week appointment at the OB's office. I was 100% closed - no dialation at all - 0% effaced. Well, I went to bed feeling completely fine Monday night around midnight and set my alarm to get up and go to work the next morning. Well, I woke up at 2:30 and my bed was very wet... I jumped up thinking I had gone to the bathroom - and well it wasn't that! My water had broken!!! We called the doctor and he said to come in before rush hour traffic - and that I was in labor and needed to be there within a few hours.

So - we get to the hospital around 4 AM and my nurse said I was 2 cm dialated and 50% effaced. I began to have light contractions around 6 AM on my own, then my doctor came in around 7:30 AM to check my progress. Well, according to him, I was only 1 cm dialated - not 2. And my contractions were not strong enough. So, they started me on pitocin and contractions got stronger (OW!!!!). I hung in there until about 12 noon and then decided to ahead and have my epidural. I finally relaxed - contractions got VERY strong and VERY close together, but no progression. At 5 PM yesterday, I was still 1.5 - maybe 2 cm dialated and still just 50% effaced. My doctor seemed pretty concerned that this baby was not going to come out as we had planned. I was obviously pretty upset becuase I did not want to go into surgery to have this baby... it was not our "plan". :) We called our pastor and had him pray with us and had him ask the church to pray that God's will would be done for Park's entry into this world. We waited for about another hour and at 6 PM I still had not progressed at all. We immediately told the doctor to go ahead and reserve an OR for us. And - at 6:55 PM, Parker James Hull was born! He was ALL bruised up when he came out... all my contractions had been pushing his sweet little face into my pelvic bone, but because of the way he was positioned, it was impossible for him to actually move enough to make it into my pelvic cavity to progress my labor. This is why we had to end up doing a c-section. It definitely wasn't our plan and we were very against it at first, but I am so relieved that we did the surgery when we did. My contractions and entire labor process was really putting him through some stress.

When he was first born, we joked that he actually looked like he had been in a boxing match with Rocky! I didn't see him much at all the rest of Tuesday night - I was so exhausted and in so much pain, I really couldn't enjoy him. But I was able to get a few hours of sleep which helped me to be a good mommy to him the next day.


Chris has been absolutely amazing and being a mother is truly one of the absolute greatest feelings of all time. I can't even explain it! He honestly gets more beautiful every hour - his skin is a beautiful dark color and his little bruises and scrapes he got during labor are just about all gone. He is perfect :) Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

We will probably be at the hospital until Saturday morning. We are at Northside and would love visitors! Just give me a call before you come so we can be expecting you!


--Hillary, Chris and Parker Hull


On our way to the hospital, we had to drop Jack and Buddie off at Whit and Doug's house. This was taken when we got there - it's our last family portrait of just the 4 of us!


I think this was taken when we were trying to make our decision on what we should do about surgery - hence my super puffy, red, and tear-filled face. Chris was so incredible throughout all of this.... I couldn't ask for a more perfect man to be my coach during all of this!


Chris trying to get a few minutes rest after my epidural went in.

After we made our decision about going in for surgery, Chris had to get all robed up. Go figure - the biggest scrub we could find was not tall enough for him :)

Chris being Chris :)
The first time I saw him after birth!
Right after birth in the recovery room.


This is his "beat up" picture. Bless his poor little heart :( He was getting so beat up inside me.


Just a few hours after birth... still a little beat up looking!


Daddy and son - in the recovery room after surgery.



Definitely looking alot prettier on his first morning being alive out of the womb :)
Aunt Ashley holding him :)

Chris and his parents with the newest grandson!

After one of our attempts at feeding him... it's exhausting!


Parker giving a little smile - looking prettier every day!

He LOVES his paci! And it's great because it's the type that helps him learn to suckle while breastfeeding!

Here is a video we took of him this morning when he was really getting the hang of sucking his paci for the first time! He is such a fast learner!








1 comment:

Laura Lee Griffin said...

OH, Hillary he is just beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your story with all of us - every single step of the way, you guys made decisions that glorified and honored the Father, and it just makes your story and this birth so special! I can't wait to see how God uses the 3 of you to continue to do great and mighty things through Him as Parker gets older. You have my continued prayers for your God's greatest blessings in your family.